Horse Shoe

University of South Carolina - Union

Information for specific audiences:





An application for admission must be submitted and approved and an official notification of acceptance issued by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions before any person may enroll in an undergraduate course. Before action can be taken on an application for admission, all cre-dentials required by University policy must be received by the Admissions Office, which has re-sponsibility for evaluation of credentials for the purpose of admission.


First-time applications must be accompanied by a nonrefundable application fee specified on the application form. Application forms may be obtained from the Admissions Office, or com-pleted online through the USC Union website.


Selected applicants who present evidence of special talents for University programs requiring such special talents may be evaluated on the basis of these talents as well as high-school grades, and entrance examination scores. The University reserves the right to place conditions on the admission of any student. In the event such action is taken, the conditions will be clearly explained in the letter of acceptance.


Proof of immunization, as well as proof of U.S. citizenship or qualification as an international student is required before enrolling at USC Union. Campus visits can be arranged through the Admissions Office. The Admissions Office is open M-F 8:30am-5:00pm year-round except for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Independence Day, La-bor Day, Thanksgiving day and the following Friday, and 10 days at Christmas and New Year’s.




In keeping with its mission to provide accessible higher education to students in a seven-county service area (Cherokee, Chester, Fairfield, Laurens, Newberry, Union, and York counties), USC Union is committed to an admissions policy which ensures access while only admitting students who have a reasonable chance of academic success. As a means to this end, we have developed specific policies to govern admission to the various admissions categories.




Freshman who are under 25, who project less than a 2.35 GPA by the USC formula, but who have completed the minimum high school units to qualify for regular admission generally are automatically admitted. Freshmen who are under 25, who project at least a 2.35 GPA or who graduated in the upper 70% of their graduating classes, but who have not completed the min-imum high school units generally are also automatically admitted. Finally, applicants who have earned a score of 700 on the SAT or 15 on the ACT generally are automatically admitted.


Freshman applicants under the age of 25, who project less than a 2.35 GPA, who have not completed the minimum high school units, who graduated in the lower 30% of their classes, and who scored below 700 on the SAT or 15 on the ACT are considered at-risk and are individ-ually evaluated for admission by the Student Affairs Committee (SAC). The SAC admits only students who they consider to have a reasonable chance of success. In an effort to be both fair and responsive, these applications will be considered in batches of at least 5-10, in the rolling procedure described below.


Freshman applicants are encouraged to apply in the fall prior to the fall for which they seek admission. Applicants must apply for and take the required entrance examinations well in ad-vance of the term for which they seek admission, and they are responsible for having the re-sults of these examinations sent to the University. Applicants over the age of 25 may not be re-quired to submit entrance examination results; however, they must submit other credentials which give evidence of reasonable academic potential. Entrance examination scores may be required in the absence of satisfactory credentials or evidence of potential.


Assessment of Academic Records


Freshman applicants who satisfy the course requirements listed above will be evaluated on the basis of high-school grades, class rank, and entrance examination scores. These factors will be used to determine the applicant’s probability of completing the requirements for the desired degree. Exceptions to admission requirements will be considered for applicants who present extenuating circumstances.




All applicants for transfer admission must be eligible to return to the last institution attended as a degree-seeking student. The applicant must submit official transcripts of all previous college courses attempted whether or not credit was earned and regardless of whether the applicant wishes to transfer any credit. An official transcript must be sent directly to the admissions office from each institution attended. Failure to report all attempted college courses may constitute sufficient cause for later dismissal from the University.


Transfer applicants from regionally accredited colleges and universities are required to have a minimum grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.00 scale) on all college-level courses attempted. Evaluation of transfer credits. Transfer credits to USC must be from regionally accredited institu-tions for academic courses completed with grades of C- or better. Applicability of credits to-ward a particular degree is determined by the college or major in which the student enrolls. The number of credits acceptable to the University and the number which may apply toward a particular degree may differ.


Original records are required for courses exempted at a previous college. Exemption credit or acceptance of transfer credit by another college has no bearing on the evaluation of transfer credit at the University of South Carolina.


Generally, credits earned in courses that fall into one or more of the following categories are not acceptable in transfer to the University:

  1. Courses that are occupational or technical in nature
  2. Courses that are essentially remedial in nature
  3. Courses from a two-year institution which are considered upper division or upper level at the University
  4. Courses from a two-year institution that are not listed as part of that institu-tion’s college parallel program.

Exceptions to this rule may be made only by the designated academic official(s) on the campus where the student is majoring and only in specific cases where such courses are judged to be uniquely relevant to the student’s degree program.




An application for readmission must be submitted by any former student who wishes to return to the University after missing a major (fall or spring) semester. Summer sessions do not count as a major semester in this instance. Applications for readmission are obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and when completed should be returned to the admissions office at the campus where the student expects to enroll. Readmission to the University and to the program in which the student was previously enrolled is not automatic. An interview may be requested and some basis for a favorable decision may be required.


Students who attend the University as special students (including probationary or non-degree candidates) are not considered for “readmission” because these students were not fully admit-ted to the University originally. If special students wish to return to the University as degree-seeking candidates, they must apply for regular admission as freshmen or transfer students, furnishing all official transcripts and any entrance test scores which may be required.


Students who leave the University in good standing, miss one or more major semesters, and attend another institution while away must submit the application for readmission and official transcripts of all college-level work attempted during their absence from the University. Such applicants must meet the same requirements as transfer students.


A student who leaves the University on suspension must apply for readmission upon comple-tion of the period of suspension and qualify for readmission to the major program requested. To attempt to return to the University prior to the completion of the suspension period re-quires:

  1. An application for readmission and a petition for reinstatement if a major se-mester has been missed; or
  2. A petition for reinstatement if the attempt is being made after notification of suspension but prior to missing a major semester. A petition for reinstatement is made to the university or college from which the student was suspended.

If students attend another college-level institution while suspended from the University, they must maintain a satisfactory average at that institution in order to retain the privilege of being considered for readmission at the conclusion of their suspension. The University does not transfer credit earned during a period of suspension, but the quality of grades could affect the decision on readmission.


Applications should be submitted before these deadlines:


  • Fall term: August 1
  • Spring term: December 1
  • Summer terms: two weeks prior to registration for the term.

Summer School Admission. New undergraduate students entering the University for the first time in a summer term who expect to continue studying toward a degree submit only one ap-plication. They must meet all requirements for admission as degree-seeking students before the beginning of the summer term.




A variety of admissions opportunities are available for those students who do not meet regular freshman or transfer requirements stated above. Please see the Admissions Office for com-plete details.




Applicants who wish to attend the University for one semester or on some limited basis may be approved to do so upon submitting an application accompanied by an explanation of their ed-ucational goals. The admissions office reserves the right to determine the proper category of admission and to determine what credentials may be required.



Special Students. This category is for part-time applicants who are not interested in earning a degree at USC. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be earned in this category. Applicants who have been officially denied admission as degree-seeking students are not eligible for ad-mission as special students. Courses completed as special students carry full University credit; however, none of the hours is applicable to a degree until the student applies and qualifies for admission to a degree program. Usually no credentials are required if the applicant has no plan to seek a degree.


Senior Citizens. A senior citizen (age 60 or above) may enroll in courses at USC Salkehatchie tuition-free on a space available basis. They must pay the application fee and technology fee and purchase textbooks. A special form documenting their eligibility must be obtained from the Registrar’s Office.


Concurrent. High-school juniors and seniors who have excelled in their studies may enroll in appropriate courses at the University upon recommendation of their counselors or principal and with approval of the USC department in which courses are to be taken. Interested stu-dents must submit high-school records that show exceptional performance. Concurrent stu-dents must have a minimum high-school GPA of 3.5.


Auditor. An auditor may apply as a special student (see above).


Military Special. Certification of active duty military status is required.


Persons attending the University in any of these categories will be non-degree candidates. Credit earned while attending as a non-degree candidate may be used toward a degree only after the student has applied for and been accepted into a degree program. An applicant de-nied admission to any degree category is not eligible for admission as a special student. The pe-riod of enrollment in these categories is limited by either time or number of allowable credits. The official acceptance letter explains all enrollment restrictions for the category in question. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid, veteran’s benefits, or on-campus hous-ing during the fall or spring terms. Rooms on the campus may be available to students in the summer whether or not they are working for degrees.


Transient or Summer Attendance Only


Students who wish to attend the University for the summer only should apply as special stu-dents under the “Admission as a non-degree Candidate”. Students enrolled in degree programs in another college who wish to take summer courses at USC Union as a transient student, will need a transient permission form to take specific USC courses signed by an academic dean or their academic advisor at their home college.


Other important links:

PO Drawer 729 Union, SC 29379 • 864-424-8100